Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: VK4RRC 10 metre beacon on 28.265 MHz
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know Redcliffe Club should be posting this but...

See also http://www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13463, titled "VK4RC 10m Beacon - Now On Air"

and from Ozlogger forum topic http://www.ozlogger.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65, titled "28.2115 MHz HF beacon in SE Q'ld now off-air":

"This beacon has been reprogrammed to 28.265 with callsign VK4RRC and will be installed at Wamuran, SEQ, with the other Redcliffe & Districts Radio Club repeaters. The "box" was donated to RDRC and handed over to Kevin VK4UH on the 26th Feb 2017 and is only awaiting the installation of a suitable 28MHz base antenna on-site before it is likely to be operational.

It is set to do the basic CW ID (VK4RRC) at about 7 watts RF out, then RF power step down from 5 watts to 10mW at 1 second intervals. This timing cycle repeats every 20 seconds and a full length ID (VK4RRC Brisbane QG62JX81) every sixth ID. Good luck hearing the 10mW power level unless you are very close to it !!

The beacon will do an RF power re-calibration at least every hour and that revalidates any account antenna impedance changes, power supply voltage changes or component ageing to maintain correct RF output values. This part of the program cycle is obvious as it has "bursts" of increasing RF signal level as it re-sets to meet the targets (instead of decreasing as the power levels step down in the normal beacon cycle - as above in para 2).

It will also add either a HV or LV to the CW ID to indicate either high or low power supply voltages beyond normal tolerance. The unit will cease to produce normal RF output if the supply voltage drops below 11V or exceeds 15V to ensure that RF emissions & transmitter stability is maintained - a LED on the front panel flashes to indicate this state but only about 10mW(/nothing !) is transmitted.

Hopefully it will provide a useful beacon facility to many - for many years.

73 Doug VK4ADC"

The original details on this hardware are shown at http://www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic....83&t=13485, titled "SARS YA10MB Project", however there have been further changes inside the box and most definitely in the software that runs it.

Hopefully we will see this new "box" on air shortly - with it's correct callsign, VK4RRC - and the reports will start to flow in.
I understand that the beacon is on test at the Redcliffe Club clubhouse at the moment and I heard it for the first time today while setting up for the John Moyle Field Day. The signal level was down in the S0 ( S zero) region but the ID was readable and the transmit power stepping took it right into the noise.

I fired up Spectran to see how close it was to frequency - it should be on 28265.000 within a few Hertz - and the screen shot I grabbed shows it as very close, but not strong enough to show the peak frequency display at the top as at 600HZ +/-

Shot attached...

[attachment=72]

VK4NJ

VK4RRC beacon (28.264.40 MHz cw) is being received at Bongaree, Bribie Island.
FT817, discone @4-5m, but surrounded by very large trees.

Andy VK4NJ
Andy

I had my 706 on 28264.4 USB while I travelled up to the Q'tech Conference/RedFest event last Saturday(22 4/17) and heard the beacon at its strongest while right at the top of the Gateway Bridge. It was audible all the way up to the Caboolture venue for me from then, varying strengths as expected for mobile operation. Antenna was a 5/8ths 2 metre whip, 706 via an LDG Z100 auto ATU, so efficiency not great.

It will be interesting to evaluate the coverage area once it is shifted to the Wamuran site.

Doug VK4ADC
I was tuning around on 28MHz again this arvo and heard the VK4RRC beacon on 28.265 going through its power cycles. It is down in the S0-S1 level range at maximum so it soon disappears as it goes through the lower power steps - and that is with my 3el yagi pointing at it. I assume that it is still at the Redcliffe Club rooms as the bearing is that way rather than Wamuran's direction.

It will be interesting to see what the signals do once it is at the Wamuran site as it is another 20KM away (80 in lieu of the current 60KM) but significantly higher elevation.

Anyone else hearing it ?

Alternatively, can anyone confirm that it is at Redcliffe rather than Wamuran ?

73 Doug VK4ADC
I heard it when I was in grid square QG62LG51 the other day. Smile
I'm looking at moving the beacon to the real site Easter weekend.
So it has passed the heat soak and reliability test how many months on ???

Tell us here when it finally moves please.
(19-03-2018, 12:05 PM)VK4ADC Wrote: [ -> ]So it has passed the heat soak and reliability test how many months on ???

Tell us here when it finally moves please.

A thousand apologies Doug, I have been busy finishing a Masters in Electrical Engineering so all extraneous activities other than family and work had to be curtailed and no, I do not know why nobody else at the Club couldn't install the radio and antenna.  Anyway, I'm back into enjoying my hobby after graduating, completing a 15 year house renovation and doing a bit of travel.

I trust that is an acceptable excuse?

I assembled the antenna today when I got home from work, swept it with a good return loss result and placed the radio back on air until I transport it to site this Friday morning (weather permitting).
Peter

I will look for it after Friday and see how strong the signal is here then, versus its normal level just in the noise..

Good to hear the studies have finally finished and you are a free-er man.

Doug
(28-03-2018, 07:09 AM)VK4ADC Wrote: [ -> ]Peter

I will look for it after Friday and see how strong the signal is here then, versus its normal level just in the noise..

Good to hear the studies have finally finished and you are a free-er man.

Doug

Apology accepted, I think that was an apology?

Snip from vklogger.com, the beacon was spotted today

[attachment=141]
[Image: 5ecd841745237a80985fdd36b1305b56.jpg]

[Image: 0620ba55bf860601f44d140fb88bef7b.jpg]

Beacon in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter

Definitely stronger here. 
Getting a good solid line on a Spectran display while at highest power level & while beaming right at it. 
Signals were worse before the shift from the Clubhouse.

I will try occasionally to see what the signal strength looks like over time. 

Doug