Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Forum update 12Dec2022
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The forum update of 12 Dec 2022 seems to have generated a few "glitches" in the forum system code, and may take a few days to resolve.  So if you notice anomolies (hopefully only the same ones I do) please be patient until they are resolved.   If they are still troubling by the end of this coming weekend (eg 19/12/22), only then report back by posting details against this topic.

Software updates are necessary to help protect this resource from hackers and any disruption to essentially-normal operation is a small price to pay for continuing access.  I just have to find causes and then a solution - the harder part.

Doug, admin

POST NOTE : There have been so many errors appear that the code has been rolled back to a backup copy made earlier today.  That will be available pending resolution of the updated code issues (MAYBE).

NOTE  13 Dec 2022  : It appears that the whole forum package may need to be dumped and re-loaded, and then saved data imported.  
The existing package has gone through about 30 updates since original installation but has now some very obvious faults that will not be easy to resolve and are likely to continue with further/future updates.

There are no guarantees that ALL info will be available after that, particularly in the form of attachments, avatars and images, so it is a last resort.     

My only other choice might be to discontinue the forum entirely.....

IN THE INTERIM, SOME FUNCTIONALITY WILL BE DISABLED PENDING ANY/SOME RESOLUTION
Dec 19, 2022

Ok, there are still issues with the forum and these are not going to be easily resolved - the error log shows lots of error lines - so it is likely that a full re-install and re-build is going to be necessary as soon as I have time to do so. The total rebuild will take a while to get functionality back near to what it was and the forum is likely show off-line while this is happening, possibly for anything from minutes to hours to days.... Unfortunately this is no easy process.

In the meantime, there WILL be server error 500 messages as soon as you post despite the post actually being accepted (don't re-post as it is already there and dupes will need to be manually deleted).

Previously I mentioned that there could be data loss, well I am now confirming that there WILL be data loss. Maybe not in message thread texts themselves (or contained hyperlinks) but attachments and any users with personalised graphics are the mostly likely to go.  Unfortunately. Depends on how friendly the gods are.
Good luck with the rebuild, Doug.

Fingers crossed that the IT Gods are smiling upon you.
Hello Doug,
I have some hosting and database resources available on my under utilised business package, if you need a playground your welcome to build and destroy on a separate host.. only mentioning this for the 'just in case' moments.
Peter all good. 

I, too, have a couple of other domains hosted that I can 'play' under but I can also just do a clean install under this domain (but under another folder and) with a new SQL database name. 

The issues I face are going to be more in the SQL compatability area as the existing data structure has linkages to software add-ins that are no longer required or supported in the lastest release so a straight SQL import is not possible - even into a newly-built install. That means selectively table-dropping from the data structure to trim all of the junk off it, then testing it, all very time consuming. With Christmas upon us, the family activities come first for a change.  Not to mention some Christmas DX chasing !

Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated.
Test forum 22 Dec 2022 as updated with lastest version code..  Interestingly, the SQL database had to undergo a bit of a trim-down effect to remove outdated fields with the result that is around half the size that it was !   Not sure that the linkage to either TapaTalk or to the VKSpotter facility is functioning - to be explored.

It looks like it is working mostly correctly, no error 500's, has the latest posts, and seems to have at least most attachments in place.

A bit of exploration of functions is probably required before we can say it is 'solved' and can be taken as back in normal service.

Doug, admin