Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: 12 volt power board????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Evening all.

I currently have 2 transceivers running from a 12 volt battery, not at the same time.

I'm looking for a switchable power board to replace the clumsy alligator clamp system I'm using.

Wondered about rewiring a 240volt power board.

I'm sure others have solved this issue in the past, looking for idea's.

Thanks,

Jon. Smile
Jin,
Have a look in VK Classifieds in the power section, bottom right in the index.
There is a kit available that uses Anderson plugs and all outputs are fused. I think there is a voltmeter option too, but don't quote me on it. 
The kit may be of interest to you.

Nev
Thanks for the thoughts.

Have fitted a couple of battery connectors and soldered eye connectors to the radio leads, not switchable, will use the battery power switch.

Not what I had in mind but neater than the alligator clamps and easy enough to remove/replace when need arises..

Picture below, comments on improvement welcome. Smile [attachment=608]
Ron

I have standardised on the 50amp Anderson-style connectors for the 12V leads to radios. Once terminated, you can't get the polarity wrong when you connect another device in place.  I am not sure where I have seen them but at least one place has a double-adapter style lead available, using these same 50A connectors.  Add in-line fuses and/or power switches (if needed), or just unplug as needed.

Personally I just buy "lots of 10" from eBay for about $15-$20 including postage, create any singles, doubles, triples - whatever I want - using a heavy gauge figure 8 cable.  You just need lots of solder (and lots of heat) to melt into the 'cup' before you push the pre-tinned wire in and finish the soldering job.  I have a block of wood, with a series of holes joined together and shaped, as a temporary jig to hold a pin at a time while I solder the wires into the terminals - it simply makes it easier and there is no heat-sink effect from metal jaws..  Given that I have used probably 20 of these connectors now, on radio leads, the leads they plug into, power supplies, even on the caravan, the fabrication jig makes things a lot easier.

Note that I do not buy the Anderson brand, simply a "clone" at that price - but they work just fine. Just solder them properly..

They look like this... 
[attachment=609]

Doug
Hah, interesting Doug, I was using an Anderson plug to connect the 7300, removed it in favour of the eye connector setup in pic.

I agree with you re no chance of making a mistake with polarity, perhaps I'll revert to Anderson plugs, can still utilise the battery terminals/connectors and eyelets, would be neater than clamps.
Appreciate your idea re soldering the pins, they are pretty fiddly. Smile
(22-11-2022, 07:48 AM)VK5WRJ Wrote: [ -> ]Hah, interesting Doug, I was using an Anderson plug to connect the 7300, removed it in favour of the eye connector setup in pic.

I agree with you re no chance of making a mistake with polarity, perhaps I'll revert to Anderson plugs, can still utilise the battery terminals/connectors and eyelets, would be neater than clamps.

Have a look at these examples of the sort of distribution boards you can buy or build. https://czh-labs.com/collections/powerpo...bution-445
I'm not suggesting you buy from this site. It's just one of many that sell these sorts of things. Personally, I've built my own.
Iain
(23-11-2022, 08:55 AM)VK5ZD Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-11-2022, 07:48 AM)VK5WRJ Wrote: [ -> ]Hah, interesting Doug, I was using an Anderson plug to connect the 7300, removed it in favour of the eye connector setup in pic.

Have a look at these examples of the sort of distribution boards you can buy or build. https://czh-labs.com/collections/powerpo...bution-445
I'm not suggesting you buy from this site. It's just one of many that sell these sorts of things. Personally, I've built my own.
Iain

Thanks Iain,

Looks interesting.

Have bought a few Anderson plugs, will use them in combination with the setup in my pic, not exactly what I had in mind but will do the job.

Jon. Smile
Hi

I always solder mine.  The only ones that are a pain are the larger 50A ones with heavy cable as they require a lot of heat to solder.

It is possible to incorrectly connect Anderson connectors as per the picture. 

[attachment=610]

If on end is a radio with the antenna cable connected and as a result connected other equipment that is also connected to same power source a short circuit will be present and it will revert to the circuit protection (fuse/breaker) present on the circuit to clear the fault.

Igor
VK6ZFG
Igor

That can't happen with the 50A series with a single moulded body - see my picture in my previous post - but can with the 30A series shown in your image (a good reason to avoid them !)..  Once the soldered ( larger) pins are inserted into the 50A body, it is always polarity-stable.

Doug
In regard to the 50A Andersons;

I used to solder them. I had various levels of success. As a result I switched to hex crimping them.

Much better results straight away. Neater, less mess. I still use a bit of heatshrink over the end of the crimping and the start of the insulation.

Easier to have the cable pair turn a corner, no crystalisation.  Good for field use.

Re the 30A Powerpoles:

I have just obtained a WARS kit, it includes a voltmeter. Looks to be the go for distribution to the 12v rigs etc. on the home desk.