Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Long path (LP) observations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Long path - long term observations.

I've noticed that when the JA's are calling/working south Africa on 6mtrs, there is a coincidence of refraction to VK from south Africa. This appears after the JA's/Chinese have a well established path, suggesting that refraction for VK occurs at a later stage of TEP enhancement.

By refraction, I mean it is possible to hear and work south Africa whilst pointing at EU. I have tried many times over the years pointing direct to Africa but the signals always disappear.

I have made contacts over several years now and the interesting part is, whilst working ZS / 3B8 etc, there is still strong enhancement to the middle East / Europe. Refraction within the TEP zone appears to knife edge north and south, resulting in being able to work ZS and VU at the same time whilst still being reported in Europe. This is a whole new experience for me and i hope that other amateurs can contribute similar experiences or observations.

I've worked 3B8 a few times this year and the angle never changes. It is always within the range 290 - 300 degrees and it always coincides with a later stage of Asia/China working Africa. 

Also, what has perplexed me for years is, I distinctly heard several stations on the mid west coast of Africa after a late night of strong TEP followed by late night long path to south America. This event  occurred as the long path was closing out and could be related to my recent observations of refraction/reflection within the TEP zone.

Feedback welcome but please keep it on topic.

VK8AW / VK4ABW
Thanks for the info Graham, most interesting.
Here in the "deep south" of VK6 we're well out of the " normal" TE zone but if/when SFI approaches the 200 area it might be worth us having a closer look at the refractive path.
73 Andy VK6OX
FR400 & 3B8FA  (PAul & Patrice)  were spotted last week on the Carnarvon Remote station.  Antenna was pointing ME/Eu Direction (as it always does).
Paul was firing 45 degs to JA at the time. 
Cant say whether it was possible to copy them direct but definately from NW.