Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Looking for 8M reception reports
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As your Summer solstice nears 6 meters occasionally opens up. I manage to exchange a few decodes with VK/ZL on 6 and can do it on 10 with ease.
I have an 8 meter experimental license in the US. Been running WSPR at 2 watt on 40.680. I have been decoded on the east coast of the US and exchanged signal reports with other 8M stations on FT8.

So I'm wondering if any one would be interested in setting up a monitor on 8M? We have been using 40.680 in EU and US but I can adjust frequency anywhere from 40.660 to 40.700 That would be actual TX frequency not dial. 40.662 has been used before.

I run 2 watts unattended but can bump it up to 100 watts when I'm in front of the radio.

Would be WSPR most of the time, if we happen to catch an opening I can switch to FT8 or another digi mode and do a cross band.

Not going to break any distance records, the South African are being copied all over the world on 8M but it could be the first NA to VK/ZL

I'm good on QRZ and I'll check back here.

Chris
N3IZN
WM2XCC
DM13ji (San Diego, CA)
Hi Chris,
I have been listening on 40.662 WSPR with a dipole.

Happy to switch frequency if required.

Mark ZL2WHO still has a "beacon" on 40.687 as far as I know.

Hilary
VK2AZ

--
Hi Chris and Hilary
I recently tried to apply for a license to operate on this part of the spectrum via our local authority and was flatly refused any sort of consideration for operating a beacon / digital mode for propagation experiments ( I asked for 10W EIRP ).  There are national LIPD (Low Interference Potential Device) allocations near there but EIRP limits are terribly low.  here is a copy n paste from the local authority info:

All transmitters   40.66–41  1 W

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2022C00281

Given I can run 1W EIRP there is nothing stopping me doing that :-) and my now very old Icom IC-575A receives and cough cough transmits very well on that part of the spectrum.  not sure it has the needed frequency stability for WSPR though being over 30 years old.
(07-10-2022, 12:58 PM)N3IZN Wrote: [ -> ]As your Summer solstice nears 6 meters occasionally opens up. I manage to exchange a few decodes with VK/ZL on 6 and can do it on 10 with ease.
I have an 8 meter experimental license in the US. Been running WSPR at 2 watt on 40.680. I have been decoded on the east coast of the US and exchanged signal reports with other 8M stations on FT8.

So I'm wondering if any one would be interested in setting up a monitor on 8M? We have been using 40.680 in EU and US but I can adjust frequency anywhere from 40.660 to 40.700 That would be actual TX frequency not dial. 40.662 has been used before.

I run 2 watts unattended but can bump it up to 100 watts when I'm in front of the radio.

Would be WSPR most of the time, if we happen to catch an opening I can switch to FT8 or another digi mode and do a cross band.

Not going to break any distance records, the South African are being copied all over the world on 8M but it could be the first NA to VK/ZL

Chris
N3IZN
WM2XCC
DM13ji (San Diego, CA)

Hi Chris

Happy to start monitoring and put up a simple vertical dipole.
Probably best to keep same frequency as you are currently using in US and EU.

JUst confirm WSPR frequency - 40,680 Khz plus DF 1.4 >< 1.6

Cheers

Nigel

VK6CPU
(09-10-2022, 01:35 PM)VK6CPU Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-10-2022, 12:58 PM)N3IZN Wrote: [ -> ]As your Summer solstice nears 6 meters occasionally opens up. I manage to exchange a few decodes with VK/ZL on 6 and can do it on 10 with ease.

Chris
N3IZN
WM2XCC
DM13ji (San Diego, CA)

Hi Chris

Cheers

Nigel

VK6CPU

Hi Chris

Just some info about the station here for the 8 mtr band. I have a 6db colinear vertical up @ 10mtrs agl with ldf 1-50 to my flex 6600. I usually use this setup for monitoring 10m / 6mtrs but have allocated another slice for the 8mtr band. Looking forward to hearing something.

Gary
VK8AW / VK4ABW
(17-10-2022, 03:04 PM)VK4ABW Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2022, 01:35 PM)VK6CPU Wrote: [ -> ]

Chris
N3IZN
WM2XCC
DM13ji (San Diego, CA)

Hi Chris

Cheers

Nigel

VK6CPU

Hi Chris

Just some info about the station here for the 8 mtr band. I have a 6db colinear vertical up @ 10mtrs agl with ldf 1-50 to my flex 6600. I usually use this setup for monitoring 10m / 6mtrs but have allocated another slice for the 8mtr band. Looking forward to hearing something.

Gary
VK8AW / VK4ABW

Both 40.675 and 40.680 beacons in tonight. the 40.680 is the loudest at 5/3.

19 Jan 23
WebSDR here, Emu Heights NSW is now listening with a 3el 6m beam for Hil VK2AZ in Glenmore Park.
www.unixservice.com.au:8073

I'd put the 8m band in the Men's Shed webSDR but the NBN FTTC failed so we are back to cell-phone wireless
where we lose the fixed IP address (Telstra's business service doesn't take that into account).