Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: FT8 Bots what exactly are they
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I saw a reference to an FT8 bot  recently.

What exactly are they and what do they look like on screen?

Has anybody ever seen one?

Maybe somebody may know.

Thank you

graham vk6ro
Graham

These links might help explain it..  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBZbv_4vjU

https://ve3ips.wordpress.com/2020/09/02/...-auto-ft8/

There are lots more sources to be found via Google.

Doug VK4ADC
Doug, thanks for the links, an ft8 bot is not what i expected  HI

Weird way of operating

cheers

graham
Hello Graham,
if you would like to see what a FT8 BOT looks like, have a look out for VK6AS (not the Old OP I knew) , this bloke runs his FT8 Robot 24x7 on the HF bands.  He does not seem to care how much QRM he causes as I am guessing he is never in the same room as the rig.

looks like he is on 21 MHz right now, PSK reporter is a good way to find where he is 'operating'
Hi All

While digital has many advantages it is not without its downside.  It can readily remove the human element in communications.  The FT8 Bot is an example of this.  

If type of operating becomes widespread it will be detrimental to Ham Radio in the long run in my view.  It enables you to leave your radio running logging QSOs for you to view (if you get around to doing it) when you return from doing some other activity like say even fishing.  

Not quite Ham Radio as I understand it but maybe I am a bit behind the times and too old fashioned.

Igor
I thought the current Amateur Regulations forbid "unattended operation" - I know they did at one stage.

And if they don't, it needs to be re-introduced.
Unattended operation is OK, subject to certain conditions.

Amateur LCD section 9:

Radiocommunications Licence Conditions (Amateur Licence) Determination 2015

Section 7 is still in effect .....
I have "freebeacon" running here, 24x7, listening for Codec2 mode 700D in "test mode"
trying to ascertain the usefulness of a reverse beacon that does a little more in that
it re-sends the data received. A, half duplex (store and retransmit) repeater.

Though there's heaps of FT8 activity showing many VK hams are active using digital modes,
all but none are prepared to give HF Digital Voice a go.

Meanwhile our country ambulances ARE DOING IT!

Am I bending the rules whenever I'm not in the shack?

Alan VK2ZIW
Doesn't it come down to INTENT ?  

The intent to deceive perhaps ?  

About locations.. or other details..

The opposite picture is that if the location (or other) detail is known (eg by grid square), then it simply becomes another option to work someone in a less-ham-populated area...  And then does it really matter if the actual operator is 3 or 30 metres away, or 3, 30, 300 or 3000KM away ??

If the intent is to deceive to gain an advantage, qualify for an award, maybe even just a QSL, then that might be a different story. 

Play fair and all are happy.

INTENT...
(19-12-2022, 07:06 AM)VK2ZIW Wrote: [ -> ]Though there's heaps of FT8 activity showing many VK hams are active using digital modes,

all but none are prepared to give HF Digital Voice a go.

im very active on most bands and mode i have a handfull of dstar hf contactsit need optimium conditions and then it is hard to understand give me ssb,fm or even am and time i have made many qso's in those modes.