Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Legality of importing a SDR with Tx capability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was planning to break into the radio hobby by purchasing my fist SDR. Just interested in some casual listening for the moment but thought I'd buy a good one from the outset. If I decided later that I want to transmit, I would of course seek licensing.

Had decided to purchase a bladeRF 2.0 micro xA4 from nuand.com, based in California. But I was concerned that I may not be able to import it, or worse, get fined for doing so.

Can anyone shed some light on the legality of importing SDRs like this into Australia?

If I can't import this unit, I was also considering a SDRPlay RSPDx. Any comments on that unit would be appreciated.
It is probably going to be difficult to get an official ruling on this sort of product as there are probably no significant or readily available rulings on what might be imported for devices of this class and of/with similar specifications.

It is not really a transmitter since the CW output power is rated as +8dBm (ie under 10mW).  It is probably of more use as a receiver than transmitter in most applications. Depending on the final application, it could also be used as a piece of test equipment (eg signal generator with frequency sweep option).

The only import cost or limitation I can contemplate might be the application of  a GST component applied at the time of passing through Customs, unless the seller has an option to charge Aus GST in their checkout process and it is paid at that point..

Others might have alternative suggestions so best wait for other posts....

Doug VK4ADC
RRRRiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppppppppppppp!!!!

Was that the sound of a can'o'worms being opened?

Cue the bush lawyers. (Insert smiley face here)
Bush Lawyer here Smile 
Talking specifically about radio gear, if the total value of the item including shipping is less than $A1000, no customs duty apply.

How To Import

Quote:For most goods with a value of AUD1,000 or less there are no duties, taxes or charges to pay. You must pay duties and taxes on some goods (like tobacco, tobacco products or alcoholic beverages) regardless of their value.

For items over $A1000 total value customs requirements apply including specifics regarding receivers and transmitters, but I will not muddy the water here.

You may incur a GST of 10%. The seller may collect it, or if they use a freight company they may charge it.

My experience has been that items below a total value of $A1000 if sent by post (and not an ebay type purchase), they have come straight through and nothing has been charged.

(E&OE, YMMV etc. Smile)
Hello SWL-VK3

Australia does not require a transmitter to have any certification when used in the Amateur service. is it up to the station owner to ensure it meets acceptable emission criteria.  Unlike the USA which seems to thrive on FCC approval before anything gets sold.

As the SDR board its self is of so low power, and would require a few additional stages to get any noticeable RF level on TX then I would feel this would fall under the 'Home Brew' category if it was to be scrutinised.

As far as import restrictions go, the customs people just see it as a electronic device unless you declare it as a TRANSMITTER but as its called a SDR you should see no interest from them. vk3rx has covered the import duty side of it so keep us in touch with how you go.
In line with all other countries that use the harmonised import duty system, there should be no import duty on the SDR, only GST when brought in to Australia.