Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: RF quiet generators
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
G'day All

I am looking for a 240V inverter generator with electric start, preferably pure sine wave with a rating of around 3KVA. The reason for electric start is I want to install an auto-changeover unit to kick the generator in automatically in the event of an outage. My question is, does anyone know of an affordable Gensets that don't generate huge amounts of RF noise on HF? I know the Hondas are supposed to be nice and quiet but their pricing is very high.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Tony
VK2TS
(30-06-2022, 12:42 PM)VK2TS Wrote: [ -> ]G'day All

I am looking for a 240V inverter generator with electric start, preferably pure sine wave with a rating of around 3KVA. The reason for electric start is I want to install an auto-changeover unit to kick the generator in automatically in the event of an outage. My question is, does anyone know of an affordable Gensets that don't generate huge amounts of RF noise on HF? I know the Hondas are supposed to be nice and quiet but their pricing is very high.

Cheers

Tony
VK2TS

Many years ago I bought a Kipor 2kVA unit from Bunnings which produced lots of RF noise. Turned out that it was all radiated from the extension cable plugged into it. This was fixed with a Jaycar EMI filter mounted in a diecast box at the generator output. A short mains lead to the box with 3 cylindrical ferrites over it. EMI filter inside the box plus a single GPO on the outside.
[attachment=589]
Jaycar EMI Filter

73 Iain
(02-07-2022, 10:32 AM)VK5ZD Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-06-2022, 12:42 PM)VK2TS Wrote: [ -> ]G'day All

Cheers

Tony
VK2TS

Many years ago I bought a Kipor 2kVA unit from Bunnings which produced lots of RF noise. Turned out that it was all radiated from the extension cable plugged into it. This was fixed with a Jaycar EMI filter mounted in a diecast box at the generator output. A short mains lead to the box with 3 cylindrical ferrites over it. EMI filter inside the box plus a single GPO on the outside.

Jaycar EMI Filter

73 Iain
Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep that in mind

Cheers

Tony
VK2TS