Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: IC 7300 preamp gain?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know what the preamp gain is in the IC 7300?
I have Googled but to no avail.
The manuals have no info that I can find.
Thanks in advance.

Nev
qrpblog.com/2016/03/icom-ic-7300-review says the gain is -10 to +20 dB.  Device is a 2SC3356

The AB4OJ review doesn't detail the front-end but suggests two preamplifiers and an attenuator.  Whether these are three physical devices or are software-choosable settings s unclear.

Cheers

Dave VK1DJA
(18-06-2022, 03:41 PM)VK3LU Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know what the preamp gain is in the IC 7300?
I have Googled but to no avail.
The manuals have no info that I can find.
Thanks in advance.

Nev

I saw pre-amp 1 listed as 7dB in a review on AB4OJ's website with pre-amp 2 only mentioned as being higher.

Likewise, my searching the net didn't find anything else useful, maybe a call to Icom is in order.
Dave, I couldn't find the details you mentioned in the link you provided. It's probably just me!

Terry, thanks for the info.
I was wondering if the preamp gain was enough to compensate for the weaker signals from a 1 metre mag loop.
The loop amps I have read about seem to have about 20db gain, so the rig's preamp might not be up to it. Still, it's worth a try.

Cheers
Nev
Nev

The link is OK. Look in the section ARCHITECTURE, 2nd para, just under the photos of the rig with the covers off.

Some mysteries are still there. The 2SC3356 is just an amp, gain typically 11 dB. So it looks as if there are two preamps (one just for 6M, as Terry notes) and a separate attenuator.

Good luck with the tests with the mag loop.

Cheers

Dave VK1DJA
Dave, I must be going blind! Thanks for steering me to the right place.

Nev