Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: YACL - Yet Another Contest Logger
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
YACL - Yet Another Contest Logger - Version 1.0.2.0 is now available for download.  
The concept is as a replacement for VKCL, which was developed by Mike VK3AVV but who is now a SK.

The same download link applies at all times as any earlier setup files are replaced as an update version is released :

https://www.vk4adc.com/web/images/UserFi.../Setup.exe

Typically, a user would select Save-link-as from the browser right-click menu then select where it would be saved to. eg Downloads.

The default installation folder from running Setup.exe is C:\YACL but another folder can be selected if desired.

It is not necessary to uninstall a previous version as the new distribution files are copied over any existing files of the same name.

There will still be some bugs in it but it should be ready for use in the Winter VHF/UHF Field Day on 26th June 2022.
{ If you strike a bug, please document it (screen shot images preferred) so that they can be traced and fixed ! }

It features 2-rig support via OmniRig 1.2 (when installed on the PC) with fallback to manual band and mode selection, distance to points scoring that is within a few points of those totals generated by VKCL 4.15, has timing checks active to warn that you are trying to work again on the same band too soon (and tells you why there has been a warning).  

The microwave transverter support has been updated from the release 1.0.1.0 and the configuration file is now stored in the same folder as the actual contest log file so that you can use different configurations in different contests. See the Transverter Setup forum post in the YACL Support Forum about setup.

Cabrillo V3.0 format log files can be generated, along with ADIF and even a CSV file of the log data.   
The One-Click upload option has NOT been implemented in this release as more information is required prior.

One major difference between VKCL and YACL is that contest setup is actually external in the form of a PDC file, anfd generally based on the N1MM++ logger arrangement. 
At this stage only the VHF/UHF FD has been set up.  Editing the text PDC file allows flexibility in changes to points, timing etc., without requiring actual application code changes    
The general layout of VKCL was re-created in YACL to make it easier for users to transition. Functionally it is similar but it is vastly different in its internal workings.

V1.0.2.0  is NOT a multi-user version.

*** Users are requested to check for a later version within the few days prior to the Winter FD. ***

Use the About menu option under Help, or under Latest Download located under Maintenance to easily download and install a newer version (WWW required).

Any new version will likely be seen as 1.0.2.1, 1.0.2.2,... etc.

There is a support forum at https://vk4adc.com/YACLSupport/index.php that allows users to contribute bug reports, general comments etc.  That forum is also the primary location for YACL advice - a help option - as there is no actual help function included in/with YACL.  Browse the forum to see current topics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It is expected that there won't be any bug-fixes over the next two weeks as I will be taking a needed break from coding.

The last 5 weeks (since I started YACL) have been high-pressure and resulted in many hours writing over 10,000  (yes, over 10K !) lines of code, and the subsequent code testing.

Bug reports and general comments about YACL via this forum during that same period would be appreciated if you have the opportunity to play with the application, or respond via direct emails if you have my email address.

However I do want to have it ready for the Winter Field day on 26th June, all things permitting..

There is still a lot of development to be done, like incorporating support for other contests and adding bells and whistles. 

Doug VK4ADC

(Yet another reason for volunteer  Moderators required for the AHRDF Forum ! )
Version 1.0.2.1 with some further error trapping and bug fixes now available.

Use the download link in the previous post, or the Help/About or Maintenance menu option if you already have YACL installed.
YACL is now at release 1.0.2.4 with a number of outstanding 'bugs' resolved.

Bug reports are requested ASAP as it is hoped that al least some contestants will utilise it during the Winter VHF/UHF Field Day on 26/27 June 2022 weekend.

Dowloads are available through this support forum topic : https://vk4adc.com/YACLSupport/showthread.php?tid=4
Version 1.0.2.6 is now available for download from the YACL Support Forum at https://vk4adc.com/YACLSupport/showthread.php?tid=4

Please read the release info at https://vk4adc.com/YACLSupport/showthread.php?tid=23 plus any previous version notes.

Guides for/about setup/functionality are being generated in the User Instructions thread. https://vk4adc.com/YACLSupport/forumdisplay.php?fid=8
V 1.0.2.7 is expected to be the final major version release before the Winter Field Day, any minor bug-fixes may be done in the interim however these will be apparent only in the build date/time info at the top of the YACL screen.  Try to check the day before and update the YACL software to the most-recent build.

While it was designed, written and tested under Windows 32/64 bit environment (Win7-10), there is some news for other users : it does run via the PlayOnLinux VM on at least UBUNTU and Debian 11.   OmniRig does not work under Linux, as was advised and expected, so no direct rig access.

Debian 11 example :   PlayOnLinux installed, copied across YACLSetup.exe file from a USB stick  to a new folder under Linux's file manager (after noting that it could not be run off USB as it was formatted FAT32), via  PlayOnLinux  did a new program install onto a new virtual drive, 32bit, started YACLSetup, install to C:\YACL and installed normally.  

It is critical to install to C:\YACL (or similar) else it does not find the contest PDC configuration file(s), and will only come up in General Log mode.

Started YACL, filled in the Station Setup / saved, Log Setup / VHFUHFFD / Winter Field Day / saved. Added a couple of QSOs and they seemed to log ok.  Created a Cabrillo log file all ok. I noted that the compile time at top of screen was some 10 hours different to the actual time seen on the Windows machine, the 10 value presumably being the UTC offset for eastern Australia.  The Data Zip function on the Contest Finalise screen does not work - seems like the VM does not like the script format or maybe the 7Z.exe software despite my attempts to make it work under both Win and Linux..

At this stage it looks workable via PlayOnLinux but the real answers will come during/after the WFD.

Normal download links apply.
G'day Doug,

Whilst in the pursuit of looking around to see if the VKCL ver 4.15 that I have is still the latest version, I found this topic around your YACL.

Would you know if VKCL v4.15 is still the current version or would you suggest trying your YACL if you're finding it's going ok?

My proposed portable situation: Win10, single op rover, no radio interface required.

Thanks.
Cheers,
As far as I am aware, the latest VKCL is 4.15

The YACL software has not really been touched since the middle of last year when my sister was injured in a car accident and I was placed in control of all of her matters, legal, financial and medical. In fact we returned from Melbourne only very recently where we were cleaning out her house and preparing it for sale.

My thought processes have been in such a mess since then (late June 22) that I still can’t see myself applying undistracted time to completing the code as yet. Maybe eventually.  I have attempted some other minor coding but not the complexity of the rule-processing code involved in both YACL and the general contest scoring/processing application, quite simply because you have to have a clear and full picture in mind of what rules apply and how points are attributed for any given QSO on any given mode, on any given band, in any given contest.  I was close before June 2022 - but no cigar – and that code remains incomplete.

Doug VK4ADC
G'day Doug,

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. It sounds like it's been a tough time for you and your family, which is totally understandable. Life-altering experiences like yours can certainly change ones priorities in life. I wish you, your sister and family all the very best for the future.

Thanks re info about VKCL & your YACL.

All the best.