Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Digital modes pseudo-contest details, 9th April 2022
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Details of the  ‘pseudo-contest’ / Sprint ( a Claytons contest !) follow :

Cross-reference post : https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/showthread.p...10#pid5110

Digital modes only and nominally using the JMMFD rules for logging

Aim:  (a) To create proof (rather than anecdotal recall) that digital mode contesting can comply with slight variations of the 'normal' contest rules and thus allow for inclusion in future events
         (b) generate data that can be used to test the WSJT-X, Dig_Link (and supporting software), VKCL etc. to validate QSOs that are automatically added to normal contest logs.

When : Saturday afternoon, 9th April 2022,  0600UTC to 0700UTC ( so we do not interfere with anybody's Easter activities )

Where
FT8 :  7070, 14085, 50300, 144300 KHz – note that these are not standard FT8 frequencies so interference is not caused to normal FT8 operations.
(They will need to be added to the Frequencies list in WSJT-X before this event then removed afterwards.)
FT4 : standard FT4 frequencies, as minimal activity is expected, but is catered for.
Other exotic digital modes : standard frequencies.

How
( a )  WSJT-X (or equivalent) in the EU VHF Contest mode, configured with your 6-character grid square, second UDP ensabled and set to 2333

( b.1 ) Dig_LOG software, set up for a contest in a new folder, select  John Moyle contest,  same 6-character grid square, start date 2022-04-09.
OR
( b.2 ) VKCL V4.15, set up for a contest in a new folder, Master (mstr) mode, select  John Moyle contest,  same 6-character grid square, start date 2022-04-09.

( c ) Dig_Link software, set to UDP 2333. Dig_Link self-discovers most other settings.

It is quite ok to use other software packages (eg JTDX, MSHV) to make QSOs provided they operate in EU VHF contest mode. 
Logging software that interfaces directly with WSJT-X (or equiv) and can operate in JMMFD contest mode can also be used (N1MM+ might, don't know !).

The log extracts must be in ADIF or Cabrillo formats to be of use.

NOTE :  I will be available on a temporary chat facility at " http://www.ahrdf.net/ourchat/  " with login IDs of   any1, any2, any3,... to .. any9 with a blank password as much as I can on Saturday 9th April to help anyone who has issues with the Dig_Link, Dig_LOG, WSJT-X or VKCL software setup and use..    I will try to also keep an eye on the HF Chat channel on VKSpotter.com

What : Sprint mode : Work as many stations in VK / ZL / P29 using digital modes as you can within the hour period, HF or VHF+, repeat contacts with the same station on the same band/s are included (ie no rework exclusion). No cross-band. { Ideally work without VKCL running so you don't see any 'can't-work' messages ! }  DX QSOs can be worked but will not score points.

Exchanges : These will consist of callsigns, 6-character grids, RS plus serial number (4 digits in S/No) each way, time stamped, frequency denoted. 
This is the standard exchange in EU VHF contest mode.

Finally :
At the end of the one hour period, restart Dig_Log or VKCL if not already running, View Log, create log entry and save it, create an ADIF file also – normal prompts apply.
Use the ‘Finalise...’ button at RHS bottom of Dig-Link or Dig_Log after the Cabrillo and ADIF logs have been created in Dig_Log to create a ZIP file in the contest log folder.

Very last thing :
Create a new email, address to 'contest logs @ vk4adc . com' or 'vk4adc  @ wia . org . au' (remove spaces first), subject ‘Test Contest Log’, just your callsign in the email body and attach the ZIP file from the contest log folder, Send.

Now if you have been playing around testing the software before the event date (as most of us do), logging WSJT-X output into a test contest log and checking it in VKCL, that is all ok.  Simply close VKCL and Dig-Link, use File Explorer to browse to the contest log folder, delete the files VKCLog.db3 and VKCLog.cf3 (optional : and any other files in the same folder).  Restart VKCL or Dig_Log and create a new contest in the same folder, JMMFD mode, with the specified settings, start Dig-Link and off you go again in WSJT-X....  That means you can test it as many times as you desire, just deleting the test log files. Note that standard QSOs will be logged as well as when in the EU contest mode but accurate points will not be allocated.
An extra little trick : if you browse to the Dig_Link installation folder (default C:\Dig_Link\ ), there is a file there named 'udp_log.txt' which contains all of the ADIF data output captured from WSJT-X while Dig-Link is active, and that file can be imported into most logging software packages to supply any unlogged QSOs while you were testing.. Copy it and keep it safe to use later.

More details for configuring the various software packages are in a PDF within the Dig_Link software distribution. 

It is important that participants actually read the details in the Dig_Link.PDF file if they intend using the Dig_Link and or Dig_Log software coupled to WSJT-X.

The plan is to collect the resulting log files, the normal log entry plus some extra files in a ZIP, so that I can re-process them here and check my scoring processes from the raw data files.  It should then be easy to solve any outstanding issues.  It can also be presented to the WIA Contest Managers in an effort to get them to consider digital mode options in future VK contests.

The Dig-Link project details are now on my web site at :
https://www.vk4adc.com/web/index.php/sof...-x-to-vkcl

VKCL logging software is at : https://www.mnds.com.au/vkcl/

Note that the FT8 frequencies are temporary use only, just one hour, and apologies are made in advance for any QRM that may result from their use.

Any questions :  Email one of the above addresses, or post back to this forum topic.

73 Doug VK4ADC, the 'Claytons' contest (??) organiser
I have prior commitments that might actually change, and if so, I'd be happy to join in Smile
Hi Doug,
I just went to install your software and my virus checker lit up and quarantined it.
see pic.
Is your file OK ?

thanks
Tim
Tim

Many virus software packages reckon that anything written in Delphi will contain that Evo-gen virus.  There must be something within the body of the compiled code that triggers that response, yet my AVAST antivirus package says it is clean.

I just ran an F-Secure scan of my system and it says it is clean.

I will manually generate a ZIP containing just the required files (ie no Setup.exe) and put a link to it on that page of my web site tomorrow as an alternative.   I say tomorrow because I am finalising an updated version to replace the Dig-Link setup.exe presently there, and have been working on it for the last few days. It's nearly ready but I want to do a bit more off-line testing today.

The update does things a little differently internally in some code areas, particularly to overcome a periodic 'locked database' error when VKCL - or my new alternative, Dig-Log - is in use.  I seem to recall that VKCL had some similar issues in earlier versions but I am unsure how Mike 3AVV resolved them, forcing me to keep feeding in data streams of previous contests to emulate actual contesting activities during this testing.  There have not been any error messages displayed since my most recent variation so that is good news.

There is a new descriptive PDF included that now has details on the included Dig-Log software that can be used to create a new contest database independently of VKCL, and then display the accruing QSOs from WSJT-X. It will also create a Cabrillo log, plus an ADIF log if desired, directly.  That makes VKCL use non-mandatory.

I plan to issue an update with a few new details about the 'Claytons' event in a further forum post before this Friday night rolls around. Nothing major, just not quite ready to promulgate yet.

Doug VK4ADC
RR - I thought that might be the case Smile

I'll wait for the updated package.

cheers
Tim
There are some alterations to the "Claytons" contest, highlighted in green in the initial post (Wed March 30th), above top.

The latest version of the Dig_Link package is on the VK4ADC web site as per the previous weblink : https://www.vk4adc.com/web/index.php/sof...-x-to-vkcl

There are now 2 download options on the main article page.:  
(1) a setup.zip which needs to be de-archived./de-zipped to reveal setup.exe, an automated installation package for Dig_Link, Dig_Log plus the Dig_Link.PDF that describes configuring the various software packages.
(2) Dig_Link.zip, which can be de-zipped directly into a new folder (C:\Dig_Link suggested) to create Dig_Link.exe, Dig_Log.exe plus Dig_Link.PDF but the user will need to create their own desktop shortcuts for each component.

The Dig_Link.PDF file is available from a separate download link on the main article page.  Read the PDF !!

Doug

PS I will also be available on a temporary chat facility at " http://www.ahrdf.net/ourchat/  " with login IDs of   any1, any2, any3,... to .. any9 with a blank password as much as I can on Saturday 9th April to help anyone who has issues with the Dig_Link, Dig_LOG, WSJT-X or VKCL software setup and use..    I will try to also keep an eye on the HF Chat channel on VKSpotter.com

Sincere thanks to the three other stations who participated in this event yesterday afternoon.  It was a pity that more didn't join in to make it even better, with QSOs on 40M and 6M logged. On-line chat afterwards revealed that there were shortcomings with the various software configurations used - all were different - operating, and generating suitable contest logs entries etc.  There was Windows versus Ubuntu (Linux), Rumtrol versus VKCL versus Dig-Log. Considerable variation from one station to the next.

The evidence was there that QSOs under EU VHF Contest mode could exchange the data to validate a contest exchange compatible with normal WIA-based contests.    There was even one QSO on 6M where distance points would have been attributed, and where the gridsquare detail becomes important to calcuate distance.  At HF, it adds a detail of another personalised - and unique - exchange to validate the QSO.

This is the type of exchange conducted, as per some screen data grabs :

Rx Frequency window :

064030  Tx      700 ~  CQ TEST VK4ADC QG62
064100  Tx      700 ~  VK4CLG VK4ADC QG62
064115  9  0.1  699 ~  <VK4ADC> <VK4CLG> 580004 QG63NG
064130  Tx      700 ~  <VK4CLG> <VK4ADC> R 570007 QG62LG
064145  14  0.1  699 ~  VK4ADC VK4CLG RR73
064203  Tx      700 ~  CQ TEST VK4ADC QG62
064230  Tx      700 ~  CQ TEST VK4ADC QG62

Band Activity window : 

061000  12  0.2 1195 ~  CQ TEST VK2XTC QF56
------------------------------------ 40m
061015  20  0.1 1601 ~  VK2XTC VK2XAX QF56
061030  12  0.2 1196 ~  <VK2XAX> <VK2XTC> 580003 QF56OE
061045  20  0.1 1601 ~  <VK2XTC> <VK2XAX> R 580002 QF56IF
061100  11  0.2 1196 ~  VK2XAX VK2XTC RR73
061145  19  0.1 1601 ~  CQ TEST VK2XAX QF56

061945  18  0.1 1601 ~  CQ TEST VK2XAX QF56
062015  19  0.1 1601 ~  <VK4ADC> <VK2XAX> R 570004 QF56IF
062115  12  0.2 1196 ~  VK4ADC VK2XTC QF56
062145  13  0.1 1195 ~  <VK4ADC> <VK2XTC> R 560004 QF56OE
062245  11  0.1  699 ~  VK4ADC VK4CLG QG63
062315  16  0.1  700 ~  <VK4ADC> <VK4CLG> R 580001 QG63NG
062915  21  0.1 1601 ~  CQ TEST VK2XAX QF56

The 4 logs (three having been emailed to me afterwards) will be processed in the next day or so, and a 'winner' announced here. 

General comments indicated that we should hold more of these activities, maybe several throughout the year, to get people into a digital 'frame of mind' and test their "systems" in a  contesting mode without immediate involvement in an actual WIA-supported contest. Contests like VHF-UHF Field days, RD Contest etc where a bad setup can mean lost QSO opportunities. Any future events should also be a 'sprint' or 'scramble' format so that the maximum QSO count is achieved, re-working permitted, with a date/time a week or two prior to the main contest date and thus giving an opportunity to 'fix' issues beforehand.  

On a slightly more personal note, it gave me the opportunity to operate with my new 'Dig_Link' software coupled with the companion 'Dig_Log' code and it performed flawlessly with WSJT-X on Win10.  Note that the 'Dig_Link' can be used directly with VKCL so gives the user the option to participate in a contest in a true 'Mixed' entry mode, manually entering voice-based QSOs interspersed with digital-mode QSOs, all in one active log.   I will probably add more enhancements to Dig_Log to allow manual QSO entry, again for 'Mixed' contest entries, plus automatic extraction of data directly from WSJT-X's support files thus allowing a 'pseudo-log' to be generated and submitted if things go badly with any contest logging software during a contest event - as was evidenced yesterday.

Again, thanks to all showing an interest in the addition of digital modes into VK-based contests.

73 Doug VK4ADC
For others who may be interest I was using CQRlog on Ubuntu 20.04 in an attempt to work out options for the Linux Ham.

CQRlog "knows" about some of the WIA contests and WJSTx works well with CQRlog.

More work to be done to understand how it will all work together though.
cheers
Tim