Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Aussie Contests - Digital modes ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There has been a fair amount of discussion in recent months about digital mode QSOs in the likes of the John Moyle Memorial Field Day, the VHF/UHF Field Days and the Remembrance Day Contests - with the Australia Day and proposed Anzac Day contests utilising the same rules as the RD.  It has previously been argued that the contacts logged via the likes of the WSJT-X software don't comply with the nominal rules but more details about the EU VHF contest mode seem to indicate that they will.  Now it is up to the contesters to urge the Contest Managers to alter the rules so that digital modes of the likes of FT8, FT4, Q65, MSK144 - and others - are acceptable.

I have written lots of words about the how and why these modes can be compliant but much of it is via private emails rather than publicly in the forum here.  The time has come to rise above the murk and show you, the users, and the Contest Managers how it can work in practice, and overcome their apprehension. 

I have put my skills to work and created a software interface between WSJT-X and VKCL, named Dig-Link for Digital Linking (interface).   Its task is to accept and process the data stream output by WSJT-X, transform it and code QSOs based on one of the aftorementioned contest rules and then add it to the VKCL database, all automatically.  The end user still uses VKCL for the actual overall log work, and if operating a mixed-mode contest station, contact details for SS, FM or CW contacts can be added manually in the same way as is normal. 

In reality, VKCL does not have to be running all of the time but does have to be used to create the contest database at the beginning and then create the log entry sheet / data at the end of the contest.   The rest is interface 'magic'.

The Dig-Link software is described on my web site on the following page, which also provides a download link :
https://www.vk4adc.com/web/index.php/sof...-x-to-vkcl

The software needs to be tested in a non-contest 'contest situation' and I will be seeking volunteers to participate in a 'pseudo-contest' on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, about 4PM, with a duration of an hour or so. If we utilise the John Moyle rules, operations on the HF and VHF+ bands are supported.  Operators on 40M and maybe 20M and maybe 6M and/or 2M are needed for this event.  The date has not yet been set but probably in about 2-3 weeks time, making it maybe the 9th or 10th, 16th or 17th April.   The reality is that we work everyone we can, repeat contacts and all, as fast as we can. The contest scoring will sort out the invalid contacts afterwards.  It will be desirable to conduct this event on non-standard frequencies, particularly on HF, so that normal users are not affected. The final frequencies will be advised via a future forum post.

The participants then email me a ZIP file which contains data to allow me to re-create their operations, process the individual logs and finalise a 'winner' for the event. Sorry, no prizes involved - but you will be helping 'bullet-proof' the code and proving that adding digital mode operations to VK contests is do-able without any major rule changes.

Download the SETUP.ZIP, extract the SETUP.EXE file, install the software. You will find a PDF on the setup of VKCL and WSJT-X in the installation folder, although it might not be completely up-to-date.  You will also find a shortcut to Dig-Link on your desktop after installation.  Note that there is no direct help file for the application.  If you get into trouble, post on the forum or to the email address on the Dig-Link web page.

Your feedback will be appreciated..

73 Doug VK4ADC

PS Anyone who downloaded the setup.zip befoe 2130UTC on 28 Mar / 6.30AM EAST on 29 Mar, please download again - I missed adding the 7Z archiving program in the setup code.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

PPS      I am looking for a selection of the JMMFD "^YourCallsign^_LogToSubmit.txt" files that would have been emailed to Denis VK4AE after the recent contest.  These won't be made public (ie your privacy will be respected) but I am writing more code at present to process these logs and it would make it a lot easier to test if I had logs other than my own to work with.  The aim here is that I would be ready to process the logs from the pseudo-contest quite quickly.

IF you are happy to oblige then email them to the address " contest logs @ vk4adc . com " -  but remove the spaces.  Subject as 'JMMFD log', just your callsign in the email body, attach the "^YourCallsign^_LogToSubmit.txt" log file as an attachment.