Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Baofeng 2 metre hand helds.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking at buying a couple of Baofeng 2 meter hand helds, there seem to be numerous models available on Ebay, would appreciate suggestions re models, power etc, any thing of interest would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jon VK5WRJ.
I have had a UV-5R (dual-band) for several years.

I used it to ragchew on repeaters during my commute on the train.

Not the most elegant or efficient radio but did the job.

When you compare the price to 'known brand' HT, it did stack up, especially as it spent the rest of its time kicking around in the backpack I carried to work, which was filled with laptops and cameras, so the pricepoint meant if it got damaged it wasn't a biggie. It never got broken but does bear the scars...

HTH
I'd be very careful of using any Baofeng radios in Australia since most arn't type approved. Additionally models such as the UV5-R have harmonics that radiate all the way up to 10GHz ! Not a clean radio at all.

You can check various models here...
https://www.typeapproved.com.au/tag/illegal/
regards
Tim
Amateur radio doesn't require type approved gear, only the CB service.

But as above, they aren't the cleanest re signal quality.
(10-03-2022, 01:51 PM)VK5TM Wrote: [ -> ]Amateur radio doesn't require type approved gear, only the CB service.

But as above, they aren't the cleanest re signal quality.

True! - I forgot about that .

They are pretty unclean radios, the 10GHz birdie can be heard from its LO while its in RX!