Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: HFvertical radials...what is the most practical length of staple/pin/peg ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am thinking that a staple of 50 to 75 mm would be long enough to hold the wire down. Eventually of course it would be covered by the mat of grass.
Any voices of experience?

Nev
Hi Nev

I don't see the staples as being a good approach. They may present a problem later on when lawnmowing (just finished replacing the drive belt on my lawnmower!) and they might be a safety hazard.

My approach would be to to push a spade vertically into the grass in line with the radial. Move it to widen the gap so the radial can be pushed into the ground then remove the spade. Do this all along the length of the radial. This will mean the radial is below the ground from the word go.

73s
Igor
Building on Igor's suggestion,
I have seen people modify those old style lawn edge trimmer tools that have a blade and a roller like this cheapy from Bunno's https://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-lawn-edger_p0241580

I believe the first pass is with the blade as normal to cut a groove and the second using a modified wheel to push the radial into the groove cut earlier. never tried it myself but it sounded good when described to me many years ago :-)
Igor, I would imagine that if a lawnmower hit a staple then it was not driven flush with the ground or the mower was set extremrly low.
The technique I have just found among my paperwork is to mow the area as low as possible, lay the radials and pin down with staples.
Then water the crap out of the lawn to get it growing again! Ultimately the radials will become buried in the lawn.
Oh, and don't set the mower very low.?

Nev