Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Better late than never ?!?!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recieved an envelope full of QSL cards from the Bureau today the majority covered the period 2019-2020.

But surprisingly amongst them I found a QSL card from a Czech SW listener.  I initially assumed it was for an HF FT8 QSO and put it in  the HF sort pile.

Only later did I check it and it was for a 50Mhz FT8 QSO between myself & VK5WU.  I checked the log - fortunately I'd imported the ADIF into Log$OM a few years ago - and there it was

VK6CPU - VK5WU 00:20 7/12/2018  - Serendipity!

My first spot on 6m from the EU 3 years earlier than I was aware of.

Gday Nigel

Must be careful with SWL reports from europe.

00:20 utc from Perth to europe  on 6 metres [except EME]  is extremely suspect and unlikely

Some cheat by looking at clusters or places like vkspotter etc and then send a card... but it sometimes they never heard a thing.

Or maybe they decode FT8 via a websdr etc.'

I have had a few from europe and were not actual receptions on HF, and i always check the clusters etc for that day if possible.

One SWL from holland sent me an audio recording of my HF  signal, which is better but still not like the old days, because of websdr sites etc he could have recorded it via sdr

cheers

graham vk6ro

e&oe
Gotta be careful with this type of SWL report,

If you were spotted  worldwide it it easy for a suspect SWL to just use the spot info and send a card claiming he heard you.

They can trawl spots hours later and use the info.

If the contact was at  00:20 utc  i personally  have a bit of of problem with it due to the time it would have been in europe or czech land...around 0200 local ?

I have received swl cards from rarish  countries of 6 and HF and checked if i was spotted and there they were.

Then there is websdr thingies [maybe in perth?] that could be used to decode ft8.

Time in czech at 0020 utc would have been around 0020 their local time?

Suspect

tnx

graham vk6ro

e&oe