Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: MS daytime monitoring 6M, 1st + 13 Feb 2022, South Africa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have had an email from ZS1AGX who is looking for people with 6M capability for some meteor showers due in early and middle of Feb 2022.

Visit the page at QSL.NET and have a look at what is available.   https://qsl.net/zs1agx/  There are some other interesting propagation observations for other than MS down the web page..

"
Quote:It is just that I am looking for someone in southern hemisphere to listen on 6m on 1st,13Feb.

I have a whole .apk on this at https://qsl.net/zs1agx/

Would you be so kind (if you know of someone who might be interested) to ask them to listen (easiest on 11m for stations 600km away) about2hours before noon?

Thanks. 
73 Robin zs1agx
"

Further email 24/1/22 :

"
There is a high rate daytime shower on Feb 1, and a low rate shower on Feb 13. These showers are a maximum elevation 2 hours before noon.
Perhaps you might check .313??
The apk displays cluster plots on a circle map, so perhaps you don't need a radio?

I also noticed on the apk beacon map, that unlike ZS, VK has beacons! (So don't need to listen on 11m). The apk draws a circle at 1500km on the 6m beacon map, and that's the best distance to listen for - but I only have one direction here!
"

Comment : I suspect that most of VK is too far removed from South Africa (except maybe VK6) but any showers may bear fruit to other locailites, maybe other countries.  
Probably worth a look if we can figure out the correct UTC/Z time for the "2 hours before noon" quoted despite the comment "Daytime showers for Cape Town (Dates for 2021 unless shown, other years +/- a day FOR ACTIVE SHOWERS), Times UTC+2=ZS times  
2021    Rate Rise  Set Max.El (6m Es occurs in ZS about once every 4 years) ....   on his web page.

Takers ???

Doug VK4ADC
Futher explanatory email :

"

Hello from ZS1 34°s

There is a daytime meteor shower on 1st February. Last year, 2021, it peaked over ZS, and I recorded Es* on 6m at noon local time. This year the shower peaks over South America (the peak moves 6 hours or 90° west every year). Unfortunately, there is only one direction for me to listen on, but in VK thera are more 6m beacons. The best distance is at 1500km, and the time is about 2hours before local noon on the 1st February. Perhaps you might listen out or check back in old log book for this date? It is only observations from southern hemisphere that interest me.

If you might be interested in meteor showers, there is a .apk at qsl.net/zs1agx.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work on all Android.

Sometimes, at meteor rise and set times, a very low angle meteor radiant provides a good reflector at 6m perhaps lasting 5 minutes, but there is QSB.

73, zs1agx
(*Es is constant strong signal, maybe s9, lasting at least 10 minutes. No bursts).

---------zczc

You know, in Canada where there is ice and cold and in Australia where there is the outback and heat, I believe people HELP one another. For example, in
Canada if your car breaks down in the snow, you have had it unless someone helps. Although times have changed, people have changed, that outback is still there.

All the best OM, thanks

I have spent 30 years on this daytime meteor, and hope a youngster takes up The interest.

The reason I need VK, is because the northern hemisphere people know everything already...

"

Email direct to Robin at  r.o.b.i.n.a.g.x.@hotmail.com ( but remove any . separator characters) if you can assist, have info, or want to follow up with outcomes.
(24-01-2022, 09:24 PM)VK4ADC Wrote: [ -> ]I have had an email from ZS1AGX who is looking for people with 6M capability for some meteor showers due in early and middle of Feb 2022.

VK2XQ VK4RHT 50281.0 0217 02/02/2022  Bcn 559 QF37ub-QH22rp 1743km
VK2XQ VK4RHT 50281.0 0309 02/01/2022 Bcn 529 QF37ub-QH22rp 1743km
VK2XQ VK4RGG 50057.5 0118 02/01/2022 Bcn 569 QF37ub-QG62qa 780km VK 011
VK2XQ VK7RAE 50057.0 2238 01/29/2022 Bcn 569 QF37ub-QE38du 926km