Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Andrews L44w 1/2 inch heliax connectors or similar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking for the best place to purchase reasonable quality male "N" connectors for a length of heliax I am about to cut in half. I cannot see any identification on the cable but the existing connectors are Andrews L44w so LDF4-50 I expect. 

[attachment=543]

One option from the USA would set me back about $80 for 2, shipped to VK.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265356550702

Dale
VK5DC
Hi Dale,
they are a common andrew's connector, my advice hang out an advert on VKCLASSIFIEDs and you may find a local has a couple in their collection they were keeping for a rainy day... do not pay too much for them and inspect the condition of the pin.

If needed I have a small patch lead (about 3 metres) that has two plugs. not in the best of condition but they are free to a good home, they were free to me (from vk3zaz), so I pass on the good sentiment to you.
Hi Dale - I have some left over from a previous life when I used to install 5GHz links. The last few years I hadn't really been doing field work and they were on my desk. A couple of months after we all started working from home they stopped leasing the office space and we had to empty our desks and bring everything home. Then 10 months later I was made redundant so whatever was at home stayed at home (apart from the laptop). I was probably the only person there who would have known how to terminate LDF4-50 anyway.

I also used to install VHF antennas on airports, and for some reason the customer preferred LDF4-50 for that rather than the easier to run LMR400 - the loss difference at VHF airband would be negligible.

Anyway, I have 2 Andrew L4PNM-RC connectors still in their original packaging if they are suitable, or about 4 of these other ones that say they are for LCF12-50J cable - never heard of that one but it looks similar to LDF4-50 and must have been bought for it (from Rojone) or supplied for those airport jobs. The connectors are about 10 years old probably but being in sealed plastic packaging should still be good.

https://www.rfparts.com/15566070.html

I am never going to use them so you are welcome to a couple or more for the price of postage from Sydney. The Spinner ones are also still in their sealed bags with instructions. I also have a number of male-male or female-female N connector joiners if they are of any use.

Richard
(23-01-2022, 03:40 PM)VK5PJ Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Dale,
they are a common andrew's connector, my advice hang out an advert on VKCLASSIFIEDs and you may find a local has a couple in their collection they were keeping for a rainy day...  do not pay too much for them and inspect the condition of the pin.

If needed I have a small patch lead  (about 3 metres) that has two plugs.  not in the best of condition but they are free to a good home, they were free to me (from vk3zaz), so I pass on the good sentiment to you.

Thanks Peter, I have had an offer from Sydney so will check that one out first. Ps the ANAN and the Telomast are both working well   Smile

Dale
(23-01-2022, 12:24 PM)VK5DC Wrote: [ -> ]Looking for the best place to purchase reasonable quality male "N" connectors for a length of heliax I am about to cut in half. I cannot see any identification on the cable but the existing connectors are Andrews L44w so LDF4-50 I expect. 

One option from the USA would set me back about $80 for 2, shipped to VK.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265356550702

Dale
VK5DC

Sounds like its under control, but I can give you a couple if you want (postcode 5094)

Richard VK5ZLR