Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: CCIR 493 Selcall on HAM bands ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Group.

We are a few active Hams using CCIR493-4 Selcall. 

Which is Codan/Barrett etc 4 digit selcall.

In order to allow increased interoperabilty between Ham selcall users, there has been discussion about how to make a (voluntary) user updatable public cross reference of Ham call signs and their respective selcall numbers.

Possibly even an unofficial VK Ham band blan for selcall freqs.

The various paid subscription 4WD groups all have a similar system within their groups to identify users by selcall number.

Bonnie Crystal does something like it in the USA, but it doesnt really fit that well into our local VK environment.

Does the combined wisdom of this Group have any thoughts on how this could be implemented at zero cost?

Something simple along the lines of:
Name:   Richard
Call:      VK5ZLR
Selcall:  2346
Freqs:   7.153 LSB     51.376 USB

cheers Richard VK5ZLR
Great idea Richard,

There are many hams out there that have Barretts and Codan radio's. But its not just for the hams with these radio's.
You can equip your ham radio with a Selcall encoder/decoder as well. There are Australian made products out there. Do the search and you will find them.

There is a group of hams on 10.125mhz which has became an unofficial travel frequency, Selcall has been used there as well. I will add this frequency my list below.

Maybe the forum sysop / administrators can accommodate this on here as a pinned item in a Selcall group.  Wink

Name: Mark
Call: VK3ASC
Selcall: 2333
Freqs: 7.153, 10.125, 51.376mhz 

Cheers
Mark VK3ASC
My two cents Smile 

The problem with selcall I’ve experienced on 40m from time to time is when I’ve been having a QSO with someone and some fool has suddenly sent a selcall over the top of us, clearly without first listening on the frequency, and/or first asking “is this frequency in use”.

If the use of selcall was confined to a published single or couple of specific frequencies in a band at least the interference problem is unlikely to occur i.e establish contact then move to another frequency.

The ACMA may not have much interest in the AR service these days, but FWIW I recall in the past when the subject of interference arose, their view of selcall on AR was that such were technically unidentified transmissions, in that the licensee’s callsign was not included, something required by the LCD at the beginning of a contact or when calling.
(18-12-2021, 01:11 PM)VK3ASC Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe the forum sysop / administrators can accommodate this on here as a pinned item in a Selcall group.  Wink

The correct place to put posts about individual's Selcall codes is under the "Nets" topic. 
Someone needs to make an initial post labelled something like "VK Selcall codes"  and everyone (i.e. forum members) can state their individual details in a post as a reply.

Nothing else is needed.  If you want to make it easier to get back to that post group again., simply go to the first post for the selcalls and add to book marks or paste a copy of the address bar shortcut to your Windows desktop.

Doug, admin
Ok Doug,

Thanks for the reply, we may just do that and get some thing started.

Cheers
Mark
Have taken Admins advice and started a topic under NETS.

https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/thread-1131.html