Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: New to this forum.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Morning all.

A post to introduce myself.

Not only new to this forum but new to amateur radio as well, having recently passed the Foundation exam, still awaiting documentation from ACMA, no allocated call sign or license yet, hopefully before Christmas.

Left my move pretty late, well into retirement, something I've contemplated for years, better late than never I guess.

My dilemma is contemplating the direction to take re a first transceiver, what I'm looking for is something that will get me up and running, give me alternatives and not be overly difficult to set up and operate.

My budget is limited, however would prefer to spend a bit more initially and not have to upgrade again in the near future.

No preconceived ideas as to the bands I want to operate on, however do have an interest in DX communication (i think that's the term)

All a bit vague I know, however would welcome suggestions and tips on getting started.

I live in country South Aust, Moonta, in a house located on a good size block, so erecting an antenna shouldn't be a major issue, my lack of technical knowledge is probably the greater issue.

Looking forward to replies.

Cheers,

Jon. Shy
Hi John

Welcome!

You need to identify which DX your referring to? 
HF DX? Which is really easy to get a long way.

or VHF, UHF and Microwave DX, which is more challenging Smile

I think you would just go for the IC7300 for HF DX and IC9700 for VHF UHF and 1296 MHz DX.

As far as I am concerned, antenna's and good feedline are the most important items, and if you have a decent size bit of land it will make that type of thing so much easier.
Jon,

While you say 'novice', I suspect you mean Foundation - and that class of licence does not allow much in the way of activities at VHF/UHF.   2M and 70CM only.

Leigh VK2KRR's suggestion of an Icom IC-7300 is a good choice for HF and it will certainly open the door for both local and DX contacts on the 80, 40, 15 and 10 metre bands.  The biggest part of the success is really the antenna type, size and style. Full-size dipoles on the various bands wil give you best initial results, and it is possible to combine these to form a 'ray' dipole and thus require just one coax feeder and balun.  Multiband trap verticals might seem attractive but are not necessarily efficient and require a good groundplane to work - plus they have a very narrow SWR bandwidth on the lower bands.  Try Ross at Strictly Ham : https://www.strictlyham.com.au/icom-ic-7300

Please note that most HF transceivers you spot will be capable of 100 Watts  while Foundation licensees can only transmit at a power level of 10 watts regardless of band. You simply turn down the output power until you upgrade to Standard or Advanced.

One thing you must not skimp on is the AC power supply. Make sure you buy one rated for 13.8V DC (nominal 12V) at 20 to 30 amps. Some of the switch-mode supplies are good, provided they are RF-quiet, and are not as bulky as the old-style linear regulator models.   I use an old DSE Q1755 SMPS for my portable work, also known as 'Manson 23A CONT 25A MAX 13.8V Power Supply' - use that search term on eBay to find a source to buy from - and it powers my IC-7300 at 100 watts ok.

Apart from that, coax plus wire for antennas, a number of antenna insulators, a 1:1 balun, coax connectors are on the to-buy list.  The half-wave dipole lengths can be made to lengths from the standard formula but you might find my article at https://www.vk4adc.com/web/index.php/hf-...na-lengths useful for tuning to the correct part of the band.

You can direct any questions to my email address if you need specific answers to questions and do not want to post publicly - you have it already from our earlier exchange.

73 Doug VK4ADC
Congratulations John on passing your Foundation licence. You won't regret it.

When considering what HF transceiver to buy, these days there's a world of choice, ranging from the products of the long-established manufacturers such as Icom and Yaesu, through the newer Asian, Chinese and Indian manufacturers. You can buy ready-built transceivers as well as self-assembly models (including some that don't require soldering components!).

Among the more-recently established amateur transceiver manufacturers is Xiegu, sold and serviced in Australia by Tecsun Radios Australia (www.tecsunradios.com.au). The Xiegu G90, for example, has been on the market for some two-plus years now and reviewed favourably in Europe as well as locally - the latest review is in the Wireless Institute of Australia (WIA) journal Amateur Radio magazine, which you can download from the bottom of this page here: https://www.wia.org.au/members/armag/2021/september/

If you'd like to try the screwdriver-only style of self-assembly, check out the uBitX v6 kit, from HF Signals, an Indian-based company; go to their website here: https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6/

To bolster your knowledge of amateur radio in Australia, you might like to read back issues of Amateur Radio magazine available online; I'd suggest you perhaps might start with the most-recent issues - scroll down to the 2013 link on this page: https://www.armag.vk6uu.id.au/

At this point, I must declare my interest as a member of the WIA and current Editor in Chief of Amateur Radio magazine.

Best wishes on your journey in amateur radio.

Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
Hi Jon

Well done on your licence, Another transciever you may consider is a Yaesu FT991, this will give you all HF & 6m bands as well as the 2m & 70cm bands. It ill also runn C4FM. a digital mode which many repeaters in SA are running including the VK5RLH 2m repeater at Lochiel.

Good luck.

73's Brian
VK5BC
Hi Jon

Congratulations too.

I agree with Brian - its well worth looking at the Yaesu FT991A - it will do almost everything you will want to do and probably more.
I used one for quite a few years and its a great little rig - not perfect but very good value for money.

HAving HF & VHF/UHF is a big bonus. Given your location too in Moonta VHF/UHF would be useful.

Nigel

VK6CPU
Thanks for the helpful replies people.

The head is spinning a bit re the jargon and many variables, guess it will all become more familiar over time, it really is a whole new ball game to me, and at my age I ain't as quick on my feet as I used to be.

Not sure where my use of the term novice came from Doug, seem to recall having heard it somewhere along the line, foundation certainly sounds a lot more dignified, have edited my OP to reflect the correct terminology, I imagine it won't be the last mistake I will make.

Re transceivers, much to consider, the knees were getting a bit wobbly when I checked the price of the IC-7300, glad I was seated when I did the same for the Yaesu FT991, I can certainly see the logic and benefits of both, now I have to endeavor to convince my better half of the same, may well be an uphill battle, my problem I guess.

As a matter of interest Doug, AMC have indicated that my call sign will be VK5WRJ though not yet confirmed.

Thanks again for your assistance. Smile
Jon

The radio prices may, at first, seem a bit steep but keep in mind that the radio you buy will be in use for the next 10 years or so - unless you decide to upgrade to a bigger better unit in the future.  From personal experience, most Icom radios seem to have a lifespan of better than 15 to 20 years, not sure but the Yaesu models are probably similar.  It is not like you have to do regular gear 'updates' like with motor cars to keep them running....     The suggestion by Roger about screw-together radios is fine if you have the necessary technical skills to find problems to make it work properly. Buying second-hand can just be buying someone else's problem child. New from a reputable source = equipment warranty.

Don't worry too much about the 'lingo / jargon', it becomes a standard part of the everyday knowledge for a typical radio amateur.  You can probably learn some of it a bit faster by searching the web for general AR (search terms : amateur radio, ham radio) videos on YouTube and just look and listen to the discussions / descriptions and figure out what is being referred to at the time. Then it becomes natural (to us), even if not the XYL (look that one up too).  Just a note about the term Novice : back around the 1980's, the licensing authority here in Oz (now ACMA) introduced a Novice (NAOCP) grade amateur licence to add to the 'Full' (AOCP) and Limited (AOLCP) licences. That grade (Novice) plus the others two disappeared to be replaced by Foundation, Standard and Advanced back in about 2004.

There is a lot of wisdom available through this, and other forums, and there is no bad question to be asked. Some of the answers might be regarded as "bad", particularly if the budget doesn't suit, but are informative anyway.

I will wait on callsign confirmation before I alter your login ID.

73 Doug

VK5ZD

Hi Jon

I'd suggest getting a radio that does HF plus 6m/2m/70cm. This will give you the most 'bang for your buck'. Keep an eye on the second hand market for a FT-897D or IC706Mk2G (e.g. this forum, VK HAM Sales and Service Facebook group or https://vkclassifieds.net.au/).

73 Iain
(15-12-2021, 09:12 AM)VK5ZD Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Jon

I'd suggest getting a radio that does HF plus 6m/2m/70cm. This will give you the most 'bang for your buck'. Keep an eye on the second hand market for a FT-897D or IC706Mk2G (e.g. this forum, VK HAM Sales and Service Facebook group or https://vkclassifieds.net.au/).

73 Iain
Thanks for your thoughts Iain.

When I do buy think I will buy new, Warranty etc, the last thing I need with my lack of technical skill is to buy someone else's problems.

I'm seriously contemplating a 2 m radio to start with, perhaps an Icom 2300H, antenna requirements seem to be a bit less daunting than some of the HF bands.

Jon. Smile

VK5ZD

I've got an old Philips FM92 programmed with 90 repeater and simplex channels on 2m. You're quite welcome to have it if you can arrange to collect it (from Munno Para West).
No warranty but it's currently working.  Big Grin
(15-12-2021, 11:54 AM)VK5ZD Wrote: [ -> ]I've got an old Philips FM92 programmed with 90 repeater and simplex channels on 2m. You're quite welcome to have it if you can arrange to collect it (from Munno Para West).
No warranty but it's currently working.  Big Grin

Appreciate the offer, as I said, think I will buy new. Smile
It looks as if the IC 2300 is a 2M FM transceiver.  Mainly it would be useful for local contacts and chatting on a repeater (assuming there is a 2M repeater and active users in the Moonta area).  

The best suggestion I can make is to make contact with a local amateur and have a face-to-face chat over a coffee or two.  Perhaps you have a contact through the group that ran your Foundation exam.  The ACMA database shows a few licensees in Moonta.  This would give you a better handle on what you can expect on the various bands and advice on setups (including antennas) needed for enough action to sustain and grow your interest, as well as ongoing support as you get rolling.

Dave VK1DJA

VK5ZD

The only repeater in Moonta is on 70cm. The nearest 2m repeater is VK5RLH at Bumbunga Hill which should be accessible from Moonta.