Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: 6m modes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking to get something for 6m use - along the lines of an FT690 or similar - even if it is only for receiving to start with - this is to go with the FT290 purchased recently.

Before I do and ignoring digital modes for the moment, what voice/other modes are used these days?

I note the FT690 is USB only on SSB, is that likely to be a problem?

Funds don't allow the purchase of an all singing/dancing piece of modern gear.
Hi Terry,
  when you consider the use of SSB has almost dried up on 50 MHz it is hard to be positive about what use you may get from a FT690R style radio.  If your happy with the occasional contact via Es during peak summer then you will probably have some fun..  It would be handy to get the power level up to 100w if you can as many stations have local suburban noise to deal with and a QRP radio may not get the job done.  In general USB (as in Upper Side Band) is the main mode used and do not recall ever having a need to swap sidebands in my time on 50 MHz.  Many of the older IC-706's are around on the market and might be a viable option for around $500 if the budget stretches that far.  Also may of the medium age HF radio's included 50 MHz but that might be a stretch too far.  If you hear me on give us a call.
Thanks Peter.

Yes, power level is low, but I have a bunch of 828 and AWA PA's that could possibly be induced to make a viable amp, a couple in bridge formation with suitable biasing "should" give a reasonable output, although not up to the 100w level.

Unfortunately, things like the IC-706 are just a stretch too far at the moment, as I'm going to need a rotator of some sort to spin the top bit as well - arms aren't quite long enough to reach out the window to use the strong arm method Big Grin (should have keep the diff out of my old van and made a ground mounted rotator).

Will keep an ear out for you once set up.