Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Cleaning Up Leaked Batteries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As a part of moving house (again) I have been given a couple of Uniden HT's.

I gather they've spent a few years "under the bunk in the caravan".  Sadly, the batteries were also left in situ.

At this stage it doesn't look like the leak has progressed any further than the battery compartment.

In previous attempts at repairing items with leaked batteries, after the scrapping and emory boards, I have tried various solvents - metho, board cleaner, etc. but the verdigris always seems to magically reappear.

Does anyone have a magic formula for removing the green/blue monster?
(18-09-2021, 07:50 AM)VK2CSW Wrote: [ -> ]As a part of moving house (again) I have been given a couple of Uniden HT's.

I gather they've spent a few years "under the bunk in the caravan".  Sadly, the batteries were also left in situ.

At this stage it doesn't look like the leak has progressed any further than the battery compartment.

In previous attempts at repairing items with leaked batteries, after the scrapping and emory boards, I have tried various solvents - metho, board cleaner, etc. but the verdigris always seems to magically reappear.

Does anyone have a magic formula for removing the green/blue monster?

Gday

Try Bicarb soda moistened in water... sort of like a paste.  Rub in with cotton bud etc?

leave it there for a few minutes?

then wipe off

Maybe try it again couple of times

Also sometimes fairly hottish water may help?

graham vk6ro

e&oe
Once cleaned up, spray lightly with a clear spray - acrylic, gloss or semigloss doesn't matter - eg PCB spray, White Knight 'Squirts' enamel, Australian Export 'Clear' 250G can - but only enough to just coat the surface and inhibit further/future corrosion.
I mostly use vinegar for anything that has had leakage from modern batteries.

You'll know it's working as the parts start fizzing as it cleans up.

Does mean having to remove the battery contacts, especially if they are the flat(ish) metal type rather than springs so it can clean off the back of them.
Thanks all.

Looks like I have some experimenting to do (yay!).

I am surprised that one recommendation is bi-carb (pH ~8.5) and another is vinegar (pH ~2.5).

I makes me wonder what actually leaks out of an alkaline battery.

In any case it will give me something to play around with, even though I am sans workbench at the present adobe.
I suspect bi-carb was recommended as it's a "measure of old" for lead-acid batteries.

I'd use plain water.
G’Day folks
For alkaline batteries, I use lemon juice, the stuff you buy in bottles, it’s an acid, so I brush it on and the alkaline and acid react, gets very warm at times, fizzles, and becomes Neutralised, then clean it with isopropyl, and that normally works well, hopefully the plating hasn’t been attacked in metal parts
I service a lot of battery powered lasers and controllers, and the lemon juice is used a lot
Cheers peter