Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Temporary antenna suggestion?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just purchased an older 2m rig (FT290R) and looking for suggestions for a temporary omnidirectional antenna to use with it.

I say temporary as I am waiting on help to get a tower down and disposed of so that I can then put up other masts that are easier for me to handle (the joys of getting older).

At this stage, the temporary antenna is likely to be mounted on the barge board on one end of the house (corrugated iron roof).

There's also the possibility of a 6m rig in the near future (again an older one).

Anybody want a 10m freestanding tower? I've got two of them to get rid of but you'll have to pull one of them down.

Edit 29/7/21: Went in to the shed earlier today and just so happened to trip over a Comet SB-15 vertical that I had forgotten about, so that will solve the temp antenna problem for now.
(28-07-2021, 10:08 PM)VK5TM Wrote: [ -> ]I've just purchased an older 2m rig (FT290R) and looking for suggestions for a temporary omnidirectional antenna to use with it.

I say temporary as I am waiting on help to get a tower down and disposed of so that I can then put up other masts that are easier for me to handle (the joys of getting older).

At this stage, the temporary antenna is likely to be mounted on the barge board on one end of the house (corrugated iron roof).

There's also the possibility of a 6m rig in the near future (again an older one).

Anybody want a 10m freestanding tower? I've got two of them to get rid of but you'll have to pull one of them down.

Edit 29/7/21: Went in to the shed earlier today and just so happened to trip over a Comet SB-15 vertical that I had forgotten about, so that will solve the temp antenna problem for now.

Hi Terry,

If you are still itching to build something, I had one of these up for 10 or 12 years with no issues:

https://vk2zoi.com/articles/half-wave-flower-pot/

I built the dual band version.

Colin
Thanks Colin, I had forgotten about that one.