Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Suggested Best switch mode PSU for the shack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
 for many years I was using old CODAN linear 12volt power supplies but the amount of transformer BUZZ from the cores seems to grow over time, either that or I am getting more picky about my quiet surroundings.

A while ago I started using some MANSON 33 amp switchmodes (SPA-8330), which on the whole work very nicely.  One thing I had stared to notice was a birdie across all of my receivers when using the WSPR program at around 1400Hz.   Long story short, went back to a CODAN linear supply and the birdie went away.

Do any of you have any suggestions on a better option than the MANSON's for the shack 12 volt needs?  Had considered the BIG Manson 120A supply but would like opinions, experiences with existing users of it or alternatives.
Hi Peter,
I have not noticed any birdies from my Manson 33 amp supply, only fan noise when it runs. 
I now use a  Meanwell 25 amp supply. It is small, fanless and no birdies have been heard and is reasonably priced.
I have attached a PDF with the specs. I bought mine from Mouser.

Nev
Edit... here is a link to Mouser if you are intrested, Peter.
https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN...jaFA%3D%3D
Hi Peter, I've been using Daiwa supplies here for quite some time, probably 10 years.
(04-06-2021, 10:07 AM)VK5PJ Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

A while ago I started using some MANSON 33 amp switchmodes (SPA-8330), which on the whole work very nicely.  One thing I had stared to notice was a birdie across all of my receivers when using the WSPR program at around 1400Hz.   Long story short, went back to a CODAN linear supply and the birdie went away.

Do any of you have any suggestions on a better option than the MANSON's for the shack 12 volt needs?  Had considered the BIG Manson 120A supply but would like opinions, experiences with existing users of it or alternatives.

Hmm, interesting.  I run a couple of the Mason SPA-8330 and never seen birdies from it.

One time I had the 60A Manson back in the ADSL days.  Every time I turned it on, it generated a spike that reset the ADSL modem ....
Hi SKI,
the noise lines are quite faint and only really show up on the WSPR display but like anything that you see every day it just gnaws away at me. I had considered a BIG manson supply but maybe not yet as they are expensive.
I have an Alinco DM-330FXE quiet and has the added bonus of USB ports.
I have to say that those Alinco series are very nice looking supplies also Smile Smile Smile
At $249 from Andrews the Alinco PS looks quite good.

A Meanwell HRP-450-15 (15v 30A) retails for around $350 and that is just the supply unit, no extras like a case, meters, posts etc. (It does need to be encased as the terminals are accessible - it is designed to be inside equipment not on a bench).
(16-06-2021, 07:54 AM)VK7ZPD Wrote: [ -> ]I have an Alinco DM-330FXE quiet and has the added bonus of USB ports.

Thanks, will have a look at those and see how the reviews stack up.