Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: preserving forum post for later reference
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
 with the impending closure of the VKLOGGER forums (according to a recent email form their owner) in March, I have been going through and trying to archive the content that interests me.

The method I have been using is to find the thread and then use the Print option in the web browser but instead of selecting my trusty printer, I have been selecting the "print to PDF" options.  This allows me to create PDF version of each thread of interest.  Now I am unsure where the print to PDF option came from on my PC, it might get installed when MS Office is added.. 

Thought this may interest others who want to preserve data from VKLOGGER before it goes to dust.

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj
Peter

A Print-to-PDF option appears when Google Chrome is installed but I note that a "Microsoft PDF Print" (or similar wording) appeared with a Win10 update.   I have used various PDF printing applications over many years to do what has become a 'standard tradition' to save important documentation.

I was unaware of VKLogger's re-impending demise - again, after the 25th March 2019  previous timeline detail ( see here ) -  so your suggestion to grab relevant docs is timely. 

We might find some of the users from there transit to AHRDF thus providing more info, interest and activity here.

73 Doug

PS Domain name expiry : 2021-03-25 for vklogger.com
(06-02-2021, 07:30 PM)VK4ADC Wrote: [ -> ]We might find some of the users from there transit to AHRDF thus providing more info, interest and activity here.

I wouldn't holding be my breath on that one, there were hardly any posts this year other than the WSPR standings (and not a great deal in the latter half of last year either).
I went onto VKLogger a day or so ago to archive some details that I posted there about grid-pack antenna tests I did some years ago.  I now have a few PDFs stored locally so theoretically I will have them on record here forever.

There may not be too many new users come to here but probably a few requests for password resets will happen. They can't re-register with their callsigns as the Forum coding won't let them but they can email me and wait for me to process their 'reset request'.   I should probably add that I won't let them use an ID other than their callsign or an SWL-series call that I allocate - I simply won't activate them - and all activations are a manual process.  I usually check the ACMA database for callsign validity amongst other things before activation takes place. 

It doesn't really matter if they come - or don't come.  This Forum will continue for some time.
I note that the "VKLogger.com" domain has been renewed until 25 March 2022 so it looks like the users of VKLogger have at least a temporary reprieve.
Except it returns a blank(ish) page
Colin,

By golly you are right.  I now suspect that my computer was still loading a cached copy of the VKLogger forum site, and that there has been an auto implementation by the domain registrar to hold the domain name active.

It happens all too often.
Not sure what browser you are using, but any of the Chromium engine based ones seem to have recently started to have rather persistent caches.
Whatever happened to cause the domain name expiry page may have happened overnight, because I accessed the site using FF in the last couple of days and did a search for something.