Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )

Full Version: Yaesu 2800 Rotator Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a rotator issue with a Yaesu 2800 DXC. Its no longer turning.
I've determined that the issue is inside the rotator itself as if I have the controller buttons pressed while I am up the tower, I can hear the electric motor inside the rotator housing running, but nothing is turning above the rotator. Broken gear or something like that.
I wouldn't have thought I would have been putting too much pressure on it with only 4 x 8m long 144 MHz yagis. And in actual fact, I have recently removed these and am now running yagis which are only about 2.5m long and its been about a month since the smaller yagis were installed and everything was fine, but least week I was turning it and suddenly it just stopped mid rotation. Perhaps something was already cracked and was a matter of time before it failed.
I have another one of these under my 50 MHz yagi which is 13m long and nearly 60 kg, with no dramas.

My question is, does anyone know where I could purchase a Yaesu 2800 rotator by itself without a controller, as I dont need another controller?
Or does anyone even have a 2nd hand one they are not using that they could sell ?

Thanks
I'm assuming you have heard of this place Duoro Services.

They advertise exchanges and also repairs.
Hi Terry
Thanks, I did come across them but they dont seem to have much in the way of Yaesu on the website.
Maybe I will call them and ask.

Called the Duoro Services number and they were very helpful and knowledgeable in regards to the issue im having.
Hopefully it will be sorted out soon.
Thanks Terry for putting me onto them.
Cheers Leigh.

Let me know how you get on, I may be looking for a rotator later, so would be interested in your experience with them.
Terry,
Peter at Duoro, should have a refurbished 2800 rotator on its way to me tomorrow, to replace the existing one.
He explained to me that the probable issue with my current one sounds like a grub screw has come loose on a gear shaft. Should be a straight forward fix. I'll be sending that one off to him to fix and do a refurb and send back to me to keep on hand as a spare should I ever need it, considering I have 4 x Yaesu rotators in service here.
Thanks Leigh.

Sounds like a good place to deal with, I'll make them my first call when I get to the point of needing a rotator.